Internet Scavenger Hunt
Click here for a historical look into the Erie Canal!
One of the most powerful causes of growth and development in New York State was the building of the Erie Canal. You will learn much about this amazing creation as you search the sites for answers to the questions provided. Groups of questions will be followed by the site where the information can be found. Enjoy the ride!
1. The Erie Canal connects what two bodies of water?
2. What Governor proposed the construction of the Erie Canal?
3. When was the Erie Canal finished?
4. How long was the canal?
5. How deep and how wide was the original Erie Canal?
6. How did the Erie Canal help New York City grow?
7. How did the boats move?
8. Where did the mules walk?
9. Why are locks needed?
10. How many locks were originally built?
11. Today’s canal system includes other canals in NY. How many miles of canals are there now?
12. What do they connect?
13. What are some recreational things to see and do along the canals?
14. When a boat enters a lock where should it go?
15. What are boaters warned not to do?
16. How many miles of NYS trails are there along the canals today?
17. How are the trails used?
When a boat goes under a bridge, what are the people supposed to do?